This wiki opens the door to everyone who has knowledge, ideas and experiences about cities to share them in an open forum. The open and collaborative exchange of information of wikis is an ideal model for the 21st century city. Please feel free to contribute to this collaborative effort. If you are new to wikis and Wikia, you can read the Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page and license information by following the links.
You can add content by clicking on any link or editing this page. You can create a new page anywhere by following these instructions.
Did you know: You can get notification of new articles in Urbepedia by pasting the URL:
into your RSS reader (i.e. BlogLines, Google Reader, etc).
Quote of the Day
“Cities have the capability of providing something for everybody, only because, and only when, they are created by everybody."--Jane Jacobs, Writer and Activist
Other Related Wikis
(See also our WikiNode)
|Aspects of Cities and Sustainability
||Processes of Making Cities||Types of Cities and Regions
|Content Types||Geographic Location||Miscellaneous|
You can assign multiple categories in each article in order to classify it better. Click here for Category List
This section has descriptive information about cities and the nature of the urban.
- History - History of the city
- Cities - Information about particular cities
- Megacities - Cities of 10million + inhabitants
- Urban Fabric - Descriptions of bits of cities
- Urban Elements - Streets, Parks, Plazas
This section is about the planning, design and creation of cities and urban spaces. It can include general information about the process of making cities as well as more specific information about particular projects.
- Urban Design - About designing in the urban realm, at every scale
- Planning Cities - Planning processes in different countries
- Reconstruction of Cities - Approaches to reconstruction of cities following natural disasters or un-natural wars
- Sustainable Cities - Ideas and information about how to minimise the environmental impact of cities, and how to ensure social and economic sustainability also
- Politics and the City - How different models and levels of governement can affect cities.
- Transport - Roads and cars, different modes and different approaches to public transport, moving goods around
- Services - Water, electricity, comminications, gas
- Technology - How technology is changing the city
- Mapping - Different ways of mapping the city
What it means and how it feels to live in a city, what makes a good city, how great it is to walk around in a city
- Experiencing the City -
- Liveability - What makes a city liveable
- High Density Living -
- Gardening in the City -
- Street Trees -
- Community Gardens -
- Urban Sprawl and Suburbia -
- Leftover Spaces -
- Gender and the City -
- Citizenship -
- Homelessness and the City -
- Public Housing -
- Public Art -
- Walking the City -
The idea of the City has captured the imagination, from the Biblical Heavenly City to Calvino's Invisible Cities to Batman's Gotham City. This section explores some of the ideas, metaphors and representations of the city.
- Utopias -
- Distopias -
- Ideal Cities -
- Cities in Literature -
- Cities in Art -
- Cities in Film -
- Cities in Television -
- Cybercities -